Skip to main content


Q- What is alcohol poisoning or alcohol overdose, and what are the symptoms?

  • Alcohol poisoning is a condition where toxic amounts of alcohol have been consumed, usually in a short period of time.  The person may become extremely disoriented, unresponsive, or unconscious, with shallow breathing.  Symptoms can also include vomiting, seizures, blue tinged or pale clammy skin, or low body temperature.  Because alcohol poisoning can be deadly, emergency treatment is needed immediately.  Do not wait for all symptoms to be present, call 9-1-1 and get help right away if in doubt. 

Q- If I am underage and have been drinking, will I be in trouble if I call 9-1-1 to help a friend?

  • Washington State has a medical amnesty law for alcohol and drugs that allows underage users to call for help without fearing prosecution.  The law is meant to encourage minors to call 9-1-1, if needed during a medical emergency. 

Q- Does drinking really affect my grades?

  • Drinking alcohol can have a negative impact on cognitive functions (concentration, memory and attention).  With heavy drinking, positive blood alcohol levels can remain the next day and may limit a student’s ability to get up for class and impair mental processing and memory resulting in incomplete work, poor exam results and lower grades.

Q- Why can’t I use marijuana on campus when it is legal in Washington?

  • Marijuana is still illegal under federal law and permitting its use at Community Colleges of Spokane would violate the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act.  If CCS failed to comply with the act, it could become ineligible for federal funding and lose financial aid for students. 

Q- How do I find help for a friend who is drinking too much?

  • In supporting your friend, you can guide them to SCC or SFCC Counseling Services.  Services provided are short-term mental health counseling and self-care/wellness education and referral to community resources at no charge for SCC or SFCC students.     

Spokane Community College Spokane Falls Community College
Counseling Services Counseling Services
Building 1, Room 102 Building 30 - Upper Concourse, Room 243
509-533-8400 509-533-3525

Q- What is Community Colleges of Spokane’s policy on the use of drugs or alcohol?

  • Community Colleges of Spokane advocates maintaining a safe, healthy and productive educational and work environment for students, employees and the public.  As such, CCS complies with the federal Drug Free Schools and Communities Act, the Controlled Substances Act, and the drug and alcohol regulations mandated by the federal Highway Administration of the Department of Transportation, along with other applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.

The possession, use, manufacturing, sale or being observably under the influence of illegal drugs is not tolerated and will be subject to discipline.Marijuana use is prohibited by federal law on the CCS campuses or off-campus at college sponsored events such as student activities, athletic events, conferences or workshops (regardless of the fact it is legal in Washington for those 21 and older).
The possession, consumption, manufacturing, sale, or being observably under the influence of any form of alcohol by any student on college facilities or participating in a college sponsored activity will be cause for disciplinary action.